Guest essay by Larry Pratt and Tim Macy
Barack Obama is still President of the United States. No, we haven’t gone crazy.
We know Donald Trump won the election.
We know Donald Trump is in the White House.
But the terrible truth is Barack Obama is still running the country.
One of the worst things Obama did as President was use executive orders to impose gun grabs by personal decree. He did it for two reasons:
- He didn’t need the approval of Congress to impose whatever law he wants.
- He knew those orders would still be in force even after he leaves, unless the next President signed orders overturning them.
Well, guess what?
Those orders are still in force!
Barack Obama may not be in the White House anymore, but his anti-gun orders are still running tile country!
President Trump must repeal Obama’s anti-gun executive orders!
After all, if Obama’s anti-gun orders are allowed to stand, did we really win the election?
If Obama’s anti-gun orders are allowed to stand, then is Obama still running the country like a Third World dictator? That’s why we must eradicate every trace of Obama’s anti-gun reign.
- Withdraw the U.S. from tile U.N. Arms Trade Treaty;
- Overturn the Obama executive action virtually outlawing gun collecting, which effectively defined a federally-controlled gun dealer as anyone who sells a single gun;
- Stop the ATF from copying of gun owners’ names so they can be tracked and monitored, as is illegally going on at Federal Firearms Licensees’ (FFLs) places of business;
- Overturn the ban on 7N6 ammo;
- Order the FBI to clear out the backlog of gun owners who couldn’t appeal their gun purchase denials;
- Overturn the State Department’s “Gunsmith Ban”;
- Repeal Obama’s “Operation Choke Point,” which prevented dealers and manufacturers from getting credit from financial institutions;
- Restore gun rights to the 257,000 military veterans who have had their Second Amendment rights taken away from them because of medical diagnoses such as PTSD;
- Declare, by Executive action, that safety, gun-free school zones are unconstitutional, and that parents and teachers should have the right to defend our kids, rather than leaving them as helpless sitting ducks;
- Repeal Executive actions encouraging doctors to inquire about gun ownership and to enter this information into a federal health database;
- Obliterate Obama’s illegal NFA regulations which make it effectively impossible for many in New York, California and other places to obtain a Class ill license; and,
- Repeal the succession of gun and ammo import bans going all the way back to George H. W. Bush’s semi-auto import ban.
This is not our entire agenda, but it’s a good start.
Sadly, as it stands right now, a half-year after Trump’s inauguration, we’re still under these Obama rules.
We’re still part of Obama’s U.N. anti-gun treaties and guns are still being denied to law-abiding veterans as decreed by Obama.
And federal bureaucrats are still carrying out Obama’s orders to build illegal databases of gun owners, so you can be tracked and monitored until it’s time to confiscate your guns.
As long as these orders are still in place, we’re still living under Obama in many respects.
We’ve waited long enough. This is your chance to personally let Trump know he must stick to his guns, literally and figuratively.
This is your chance to personally tell Donald Trump he needs to be even stronger on protecting our gun rights.
There’s no reason Trump can’t state, in writing, he will oppose every gun-grabbing scheme and repeal each and every anti-gun Obama Executive Order.
We know that he isn’t afraid to tell it like it is. That’s what we like about him.
Tell the president. Send a postcard with the letter we provide below. Share this message with family and friends.
We must make it clear to President Trump that he can’t allow Barack Obama to still set the rules. He is the President!
Lawmakers tell us when they walk into their offices and see Gun Owners of America postcards on desks, they know that D.C. can’t ignore the issue anymore.
Your postcards work because they show elected officials that an army of real Americans wants action.
We know President Trump is busy, but the Second Amendment is not a secondary concern.
He can sign an Order repealing Obama’s gun-grabbing rules in the same 60 seconds it takes you to sign a postcard.
All of us know he will do it.
So, what are we all waiting for?
It’s time to erase every last trace of Barack Obama from history. That starts with repealing each and every one of his executive orders.
So please contact President Trump with the postcard message provided below, and share this letter with family or friends.
Executive Director Emeritus
P.S. Barack Obama may not be in the White House anymore, but his anti-gun orders are still running the country! Guns are still being banned, gun owners are still being illegally tracked and monitored, and we’re still under Obama’s U.N. schemes.
Please take just a moment to sign and mail a postcard to Trump we have enclosed for you. It’s time for President Trump to keep his promise and end Obama’s anti-gun agenda.
Suggested Postcard to the President:
Dear President Trump:
Why are Barack Obama’s anti-gun Executive Orders still on the books, and still being enforced? Gun owners are still being illegally registered, guns are still being banned by executive action and we’re still under U.N. treaties.
You are the President, not Obama. So why are we still under Obama’s antigun control? Please eradicate every last trace of Obama’s rule and establish your Presidency as the most pro-gun in history.
I know you will do the right thing yet again and sign an Executive Order overturning the gun-grabbing rules issued by Obama and his predecessors. Gun Owners of America has sent you the complete list.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to me and GOA’s 1.5 million supporters. Please act now.
The original of this article appeared a letter to the membership of Gun Owners of America.
Larry Pratt is Executive Director Emeritus of Gun Owners of America, and Tim Macy is Chairman.
© 2016 Used by Permission